Choosing a good pair of exercise shoes is important, especially if you have problems with your feet. Ask yourself the following questions when you are trying on a pair of shoes:
- Do the shoes feel comfortable?
- Do your feet feel supported but not squeezed?
- Do you feel cushioning in the heel and forefoot?
- Can you feel anything rubbing on your foot or causing pressure?
- Does your heel stay put and not slip when you walk or jog?
- Do your toes push against the front of your shoe? If so, you need a larger size.
Remember, even good shoes wear out, so you should replace them every 6 months or 600 kilometres, whichever comes first.
* Before embarking on this exercise program, please consult your family physician.